Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Running Essentials

Since I have started running first thing in the morning, I have been running more consistently than any other time I tried to include workouts into my regular schedule. I feel really optimistic that it will continue when I go back to work in a week and a half. This week I realized there are some essentials to my running success. Yes, there is the schedule, mind set, and healthier eating, but I'm talking about the "stuff" that makes my runs so much easier and more enjoyable. Here is my top 5.....

1. Good Running Shoes - My preferred running shoes are the Mizuno Wave Rider 17. Whatever shoes are comfortable for you, invest in a couple pairs. I rotate my 3 pairs and my feet don't feel worn out when I am done with my run.
2. Comfy Running Clothes - I love my workout clothes. In fact, on days when I am just hanging around the house doing housework, I prefer my workout clothes over sweats. Being comfortable in your workout clothes makes it easier to run. My preferred outfit is fitted capri running pants and a racer back wicking tank. 

3. Support Braces (as needed) - I was having shin and calf pain when running. I tried KT tape with little relief. Then, I remembered I had jump straps for previous knee injuries, so I decided to try them while running. OMG, I had a completely different running experience. I still had the ache of working muscles, but it wasn't painful at all! Who would have thought such a simple brace would make such a big difference!
4. Good Tunes - My outdoor morning runs are absolutely the most upbeat and motivating part of my day. Everything is calm and just starting to wake up. I have fun upbeat music in my ears, and I am getting my blood flowing for a positive start to a new day. The upbeat music is such a motivator to keep me moving and start my day with a positive attitude. 

5. Running Waist Pack - This is the most surprising essential I have found. I found it in the Target $ Bins for $5. It is small with two pockets and a headphone hole. I am able to put my key in one pocket and my phone in the other pocket. It keeps my hands free, keeps the headphone wire stretched enough so it doesn't bounce too much, and I barely feel it when I run. I tried the armband for my phone, but I didn't find it very comfortable and it didn't have a spot for my key. This answered all my problems!
These are my top 5, but find what works for you. Anything that makes running an easier addition to your schedule, use it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment