Sunday, February 28, 2016

Crockpot Chicken Chow Mein

I tried a new crockpot recipe today and it was delicious! I love Chinese food, so I have been looking for a way to fulfill the Chinese food craving without the calories and sodium. I found a recipe for Chicken Chow Mein and decided to try it. AMAZING!

Recipe (from 1001 SlowCooker Recipes):
Ingredients:
2 (15 oz) cans chop suey vegetables
1 (8 oz) can sliced water chestnuts, drained (I skipped this one)
3/4 c. chopped cashews
1 (10 oz) package frozen chopped bell peppers and onions, thawed
3 ribs celery, sliced
3-4 cups cooked, diced chicken breast
1/4 tsp. hot sauce
2 (10 oz) cans cream of chicken soup
1 (5 oz) can chow mein noodles


  • Combine chop suey vegetables, water chestnuts, cashews, bell peppers and onions, celery, and chicken in sprayed slow cooker. 
  • Stir hot sauce into soup and spoon over ingredients in slow cooker
  • Cover and cook on LOW for 5-7 hours.
  • Place about 3/4 c chow mein noodles on individual plates and spoon chicken over noodles. 

Nutrition Information: (based on recipe input on MyFitnessPal)

Nutrition Facts
Servings 8.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 196 
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 5 g7 %
Saturated Fat 1 g7 %
Monounsaturated Fat 2 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 40 mg13 %
Sodium 1738 mg72 %
Potassium 227 mg6 %
Total Carbohydrate 19 g6 %
Dietary Fiber 3 g12 %
Sugars 4 g
Protein 18 g36 %
Vitamin A 24 %
Vitamin C 57 %
Calcium 2 %
Iron 9 %
* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.
The finished product



Now, I made a couple mistakes. I did not thaw the peppers and onions or pre-cook the chicken. I also bought the wrong noodles. I bought lo mein noodles instead of chow mein noodles. I also forgot the hot sauce. Ok, more than a couple mistakes, but despite that, it was delicious! It made so much that I was able to freeze a couple portions for the next time I have a craving for Chinese food. 

A couple of the benefits of this dish...
  1. Definitely healthier than ordering Chinese food
  2. I love crockpot meals!
  3. Delicious and easy to make!
  4. Very filling and satisfying

No comments:

Post a Comment